Kale is super nutrient rich, boasting Vit’s A, K, C, B6 + calcium, magnesium, omega-3 with protein, fiber and antioxidants required in our diet to counteract oxidative stress caused by free radicals in our body (with way more benefits to boot!).
Kale Chips are easy-peasy to make, and super delicious (with 33 calorie count per cup). Keen? Here’s how to do it:
PREP — Preparation is key, so for me I find the best thing to do is to get the ground work done with my kale chips, so when I feel the need to have the crunchy snack, its a simple process.
- Get out your colander, and start to gently rip off small portions of kale from along the stem (think bite sized) and place all your portions into the colander.
- Rinse thoroughly, and make sure all earth elements (sand, dirt, dust and bugs!) are washed away.
- If you have one, place all of your kale portions in to a salad dryer (usually about $10 from Woolworths/Coles/Kitchen Store) and whiz around until dry. Alternatively, if you don’t have one, then lay out the clean kale portions onto a clean tea-towel or on clean paper towel and lightly press down to remove any excess moister.
- Place portions in an air tight container in your fridge and allow to dry.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and bring out your baking tray.
- Line baking tray with baking paper (or lightly grease with oil – Coconut Oil is good!)
- Place your kale portions on the baking paper, and give them a bit of room between each.
- Either: spray kale portions with a cooking spray oil (gives better and lighter coverage) or gently sprinkle cooking oil of choice over each kale portion.
- Place in oven and leave for 10-15 minutes, or to your visual preference. The longer you leave them, the darker and crunchier they become.
- Bring them out of the oven (don’t forget your mitts!). Enjoy!
They are best served when they are still hot, so use a suitable kitchen utensil to bring them off the tray and onto a plate to serve (I have found that when I use tongs, they usually break my crispy kale chips, so an egg flip of sorts is best).
Let me know if you enjoy them as much as I do!